Scottish village of Crovie ( pronounced "Crivvy" ) - a Conservation
Area, where houses cling to the base of the cliffs, dangling
their front doors in the sea - and see a traditional Banffshire fishing
village that has changed very little in the last 100 years.
There was a settlement here in about 1297 ( indeed a local Church dates
back as far as 1004 ), but it was not until the late 1700s
that the village started growing. There were about 20 cottages and 100
residents in 1791 and by 1900 there were 300 inhabitants in
66 cottages, partly as a result of The Highland Clearances. People
earned their living from the sea, which ultimately chased them away
in 1953. In that year, in January, massive storms devastated the
coastline ( destroying several Crovie cottages ) and the residents fled.
Few wished to return, and the local Council wanted to bulldoze the
village into the sea. Some owners rebelled and formed a
Preservation Society. Many cottages have since been bought as holiday
homes and it is these owners who have continued to
maintain Crovie in the condition it is in today. Nearly all the cottages
have now been converted to holiday homes.
Crovie is 40 miles north of Aberdeen, halfway between Banff ( 10 miles to
the west ) and Fraserburgh ( off the B9031 )